Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Spoon Theory applied

I know the Spoon Theory has been going around for years, but I hadn't actually read it before. I finally did, and it makes a ton of sense. I'm going to link to it here, and I'd really like my close friends and family to take the time to read it...then read my comments below.



Ok, now that you've read it, this is my breakdown of how many spoons it takes me to do certain tasks...on good days, I have maybe 12 spoons. On average days, maybe 10. Bad days, sometimes as few as 6.

  • Showering: 2 to 4 spoons, depending on whether I shave and wash my hair
  • Dressing after a shower: 1 spoon (Dressing other times doesn't generally require a spoon)
  • Combing my hair after a shower: 1 spoon
  • Blow drying my hair after a shower: 1 spoon
  • Shopping in a small store, like Dollar Tree: 1 spoon
  • Shopping in a large store, like Walmart: 2-4 spoons
  • Cooking a simple meal: 1 spoon
  • Cooking a complex meal: 2-4 spoons
  • Loading or unloading the dishwasher: 1 spoon
  • Wiping down counter and stove: 1 spoon
  • Vacuuming: 1-2 spoons
  • Taking the dog out multiple times: 1 spoon
  • Straightening the living room: 2 spoons
  • Babysitting: 4+ spoons - especially if the dogs are hyper
  • Visiting family when the kids are there: 2-3 spoons
  • Visiting when the kids aren't there: 1 spoon
  • Switching laundry over or taking it out from the dryer: 1 spoon
  • Folding laundry: 1-2 spoons per load
  • Paperwork: 1 spoon for every 15 minutes
This is why my house is a mess most days. This is why when I am invited to dinner or to visit, I sometimes have to say no. This is why I sometimes have to turn down babysitting, even though I would be doing it with help. It isn't that I don't love you, or that I don't love the kids, or that I don't WANT to spend time with you. It's just that have only so many spoons.


No comments:

Post a Comment